Thursday, November 05, 2009

Lolita with a Pen Knife

I've been away for quite some time obviously. For the most part I've been attempting to make some sense of how to throw myself into all of the separate parts of my life without transmogrifying myself into a lost sense of self- or at the very least losing a finger.
So, I've decided to give this the old college try- just in the non-traditional student type of way.
I'm now teaching English as a second language through my local university. And I think I might have decided to stop caring yesterday.
Most of my class trouble seemed to start around the day that I decided to buy new glasses.

I have large orange glasses now. When I tried them on for the first time, the lady at the eye doctor's office said to me, "You know, when I looked at these I wasn't sure that you would be able to pull them off. But look at you! You're doing it!" She then motioned for her fellow employees to come over and take a look at how well I was wearing the glasses. They "ooo"ed and "ahh"ed at appropriate times, gesturing and nodding at my face, glad that Betsy had brought them over to see the new glasses. One girl looked at me and then looked away. I wondered if perhaps she thought that the glasses were ugly. I wondered if she was thinking to herself that I should have stuck with my old scratched up glasses because now I looked like some extra from Twin Peaks.
Rather than look at them all, I chose to watch a young man, who across the room was trying on his new glasses. Quietly looking at himself in the narrow mirrors. Turning left, then right. Left, then right.

No comments: